We all suffer from it. Even my girl, Taylor Swift, probably experiences an ungodly amount of stress. It does not matter what kind of stress you are suffering, it can have a pretty big impact on your life. We all hear the “don’t stress, it isn’t worth it”, but sometimes we just cannot help it. I know that I personally deal with an incredible difficult time handling my stress, and it has a negative effect on relationships, friendships, and how I feel about myself. Don’t worry, there are ways to deal with it, and guess what, they are WAY easier than you think. Depending on the amount of time you have in a day, you can utilize various activities to help you, help others, help whoever/whatever! I am going to take this my different kinds of stress, and give a couple tips to help you manage that ish girl.
- I think the biggest sort of stress people face is financial, right? I know that I sure do. We want to have fun and live the way we want to, but there are things like rent, bills, food, general living that are getting in our way. *Insert Michelle Tanner “How rude” phrase here* Guess what, your mom was right, and I am sorry, but I am about to tell you again.While I am here finishing my degree, I can definitely speak from the experience of not only someone who is in their mid twenties, but also as a college student, since I have done both. So just grab a notebook, and write this down.
- BUDGETS, they suck, but they are EXTREMELY effective. It will hurt not going to Sephora every time Anastasia releases a new highlighter, or running to Lush when the new seasonal stuff comes out, but it will help you so much. Plus, the earlier you learn this, the better off you will be in the future. What I have began doing is taking my monthly income, taking all of my fixed costs (rent, bills, etc) out of it, and then dividing my remaining variable costs (food, gas, entertainment, etc). I always put more toward food because I do not need to be going out so much, but a girl gotta eat! I will do a post about my typical grocery list sometime soon.
- This is weird, but get a hobby! Finding something you love doing will help you so much in the long run with spending money. If you have something you like to do then you will want to do that instead of going out and trying to entertain yourself. Do what I did, start a blog! You can ask my friends and family, it keeps me plenty entertained all hours of the day. I am currently working on a blogging resources post for the future, so keep your eyes peeled for that one!
- If you have a job where you are comfortable enough to ask for a raise, or in the position to ask, then try it out. Go in and explain to your supervisors why you think you deserve one, and what you do and can offer for the company. What can they say? No? You still have a job either way, and they will appreciate you taking initiative!
- Sell of things you don’t need. It is spring time! Hit up your closet and get rid of some things that you are no longer wearing. Apps like Poshmark are a great way to do that (ashleestuart, find me!).
- Social Stress is a killer. It can be from your friends, family, or even strangers sometimes. I have had a lot of toxic people in my adult life, and I was so focused on satisfying them, that I was completely unable to take care of myself, and I definitely suffered from that. It took me quite a while to actually see what was happening. It was similar to having a sheet over a mirror, and finally pulling the sheet off. It was shocking. Think Mirror of Erised from Harry Potter. You are seeing things you want, but not things that you really need.
- Dump them! Friends, boyfriends, random family members. If they are making you feel like anything less than what you are, there is literally no place for them in your life. You love them? Yeah, I thought I loved people who treated me like that too, and let me tell you, the grass is actually greener on the other side. I promise you, if not, I will let you cut my hair (which is my biggest fear).
- If you don’t want to get rid of them, then you need to talk it out, now! Express what your issues are with he or she, and see if things can be resolved. If they can, awesome! Way to go! If not….well….you know what to do girl.
- I think the most important thing that I did was taking time for myself. It is crazy how a night of pampering, and just hanging out with yourself can do. Plus, you can get so much stuff done! That is usually what I do. I get a ton of school work done, and then I just do blog stuff and watch Food Network. Sometimes you just need to be alone with yourself. Being comfortable in your own silence is probably the most important thing you can do.
- This is not really advice, but it is definitely in this category. We see celebrities who are always dealing with a rainstorm of negativity. I have been a long time fan of Zoella from Youtube, and in one of her vlogs she just broke it down about her feelings about vlogging, and how cruel other content creators as well as the media can be. Yet she pushes all of that aside, and remains a positive person because she surrounds herself with people who care about her. We can all definitely learn a lesson from that. Check out that video too!
- College Stress is a big thing for me. Rather it is meeting deadlines, studying, or even getting up and going to class, sometimes it is hard. I know, I know, “it must be so hard to go sit in a room for an hour and a half”, but guess what. It can be, geez! When you stay up until 4am working on a project, or studying for a test, class comes early the next day. Working all day and going to class is always no fun. Even when you are dealing with other stress, things like that can fall behind.
- Get a planner! It will help you keep your personal life as well as your social and academic life on track. I write down everything in mine, it makes sense to me, but other people probably thing I have lost my mind, haha. Make you own code, decorate it, color it, make it a hobby(see what I did there).
- Plan out your studying. Good grief, do not wait until the night before to study for a test, you will not remember any of it. I promise. Find different ways to study, and figure out which works best for you. I will eventually do a study plan post too, I have tried all of them in the book!
Stress is part of life, but there are a ton of ways to overcome it. Even if you cannot completely eliminate it, there are definitely ways to fight it off. What is your plan for fighting of stress? Comment down below and let’s help each other!